|Fairholm & Fairholme Family Trees Worldwide|
|| English branches
|| Scottish branches
|| World branches
Gedling 2 branch
Click on the image to open a pdf of the early tree for this branch.
Press the back button on your web browser
to return to this page.
|This page sets out
information that we have found about the Gedling 2 branch of Fairholme
So far, we have 83 people on this tree.
We have used the following abbreviations on the tree:
b : birth
c : christening or baptism
m : marriage
d : death
bu : burial.
The early family
Photo by Pierre Bamin on Unsplash
branch is headed by Joseph and Elizabeth Fairholm. Joseph was the third
son of Jarvis or Gervas Fairholm and a grandson of William and Ann
Fairholm who lived at Shelford. Elizabeth's maiden name was Waterhouse.
Joseph and Elizabeth had two sons and one daughter. Joseph was an
agricultural labourer. Their eldest son, John, married Ann Stancer and
they had nine children - several of whom had some connection with
Ilkeston, Derbyshire. Joseph and Elizabeth's younger son, William,
married Elizabeth Allen (nee Sissons) and their daughter, Jane, married
We have identified present day descendants for this branch in Derbyshire and Scotland. The early spelling of the surname was a mix of Fairholm, Fairholme and Fearholme. Joseph's younger brother, John, heads the Basford branch.
Fairholme & David Brown
was the eldest daughter of John Fearholme / Fairholme and Ann Stancer.
She married David Brown in 1892. They had eight
children, including Pasha, Bernice and Zena - unusual first
names at the time. Initially, the family lived in
Lancashire and later at Hepworth in West Yorkshire. David was a
carpenter by trade.
These photographs were shared by Julian Hitchen.
Gedling & Carlton
|Gedling was a village to the
east of Nottingham. The parish of Gedling included Carlton which
expanded rapidly and became a suburb of Nottingham. Members of
the Gedling 1 and Gedling 2 branches lived in these settlements from
the 1760s to at least 1901. During this time the population of the two
settlements increased dramatically. The total was 1,373 in 1801 and was
over 11,100 by 1901. The map shows them in 1835. Gedling is the rather
spread out village top centre and Carlton is bottom centre. Both of the
settlements now form part of the greater Nottingham urban area.
The old postcard shows Main Road at Carlton about 1916.
Reproduced with permission of Reflections of a Bygone Age from their book Carlton, Netherfield & Colwick on old picture postcards (ISBN 0 946245 64 9) - one of the books in their 'Yesterday's Nottinghamshire' series.