|Fairholm & Fairholme Family Trees Worldwide|
|| Family name
|| English branches
|| Scottish branches
|| World branches
Southwell 2 branch
Click on the image to open a pdf of the early tree for this branch.
Press the back button on your web browser
to return to this page.
|This page sets out
information that we have found about the Southwell 2 branch of Fairholm
So far, we have 26 people on this tree.
We have used the following abbreviations on the tree:
b : birth
c : christening or baptism
m : marriage
d : death
bu : burial.
The early family
|"Mr Fairholme, wheelwright, Carter-gate,
Nottingham, has just completed a very
handsome covered cart, for the Bombay Gas
Company (Limited). ... It is highly
complementary to our Nottingham artisans
that one of their number has been selected
for the completion of this work by a
company as remote as that of the
Bombay Gas Company."
Nottinghamshire Guardian 20 January 1865
branch is headed by George and Ann Fairholm. Somewhat confusingly,
George seems to have married Ann Revil in 1820 and then Ann Edson in
and his first wife had six children and with his second wife he had three more.
George was a wheelwright and his son, Henry, was a master wheelwright, employing thirteen men and two boys at his workshop in Nottingham in 1871.
Although we have a place of birth for George from the 1851 census, we have not been able to find his christening. We have evidence to suggest that his father was a George Fairholm, but we do not know who his mother was. We suspect that he was the brother of William Fairholm who heads the Southwell 1 branch. They were both wheelwrights and it seems unlikely that two wheelwrights called Fairholm would both set up business in such a small village without being related.
Other relatives lived at Sneinton.
We have no present day descendants for this branch at the moment.
|Southwell (pronounced Suv-ell) is a
village to the west of Newark in Nottinghamshire.
The fairly poor quality map from 1884 shows the part of Southwell where members of the Southwell branches lived from at least 1828. They lived on Westgate from the 1840s onwards.
The two old postcards show the street. The second card was issued circa 1907.
1884. Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with
permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey
Southwell on old picture postcards (ISBN 0 946245 61 4) - one of the books in their 'Yesterday's Nottinghamshire' series.
Reproduced from a copy held by Nottinghamshire
|Sneinton grew up on the
eastern side of Nottingham, in a similar way to New Radford and New
Lenton on the west side - to help cope with the overcrowding in
The map from 1881 shows some of the streets where members of the Radford branch and the Southwell 2 branch lived in the the mid to late 1880s : West Street, North Street and Walker Street. The old photograph shows Carlton Road circa 1917 on a postcard published by W. H. Smith. The streets where family members lived were just to the right of the two boys.
Piecemeal redevelopment took place under clearance schemes in the 1930s and a larger scheme took place later. The modern photograph shows the redevelopment of West Street and North Street. It was taken in January 2003.